Hot on the heels of the success of 2011’s Let it Bee, Love Your Tent has been created by Eco Action Partnership, sustainability consultants to the Isle of Wight Festival, and supported by AGreenerFestival, the campaign is designed to bond people with their tents. Whether it’s a tipi or a two-berth, reusing your Festival home reduces the impact on landfill sites and saves you money.
The Isle of Wight Festival is supporting LOVE YOUR TENT with loads of onsite stuff going on, to get festivalgoers involved and be a part of the action. There will also be a Love Your Tent showcase camping field called RESPECT, which is free to book for all of those people who want to do their bit for the environment. Campers will sign up to abide by the 10 Tent Commandments (see below!) and in return they will be given a Greenback loyalty card which will give discounts on goods and services across the island. The Greenback loyalty cards are supplied in association with the Eco Island initiative www.eco-island.org.
At the 2011 Isle of Wight Festival, 1 in 6 people left their tent on site. There was 152.62 tonnes of waste collected from the campsites, which were made up of tents, camping equipment and gazebos, equating to 25% of the landfill waste from the whole Festival. And The Isle of Wight Festival is just one of 450 festivals which take place across the UK each year, none of which are immune to the problem of discarded tents which makes it one of the biggest environmental issues facing festival organisers today. So please … LOVE YOUR TENT!
THE TENT COMMANDMENTS
• 1. Thou shalt Love Your Tent.
• 2. Thou shalt not buy cheap, one-use tents, but invest in one that will last for years to come.
• 3. Thou shalt never leave your tent anywhere for someone else to dismantle and take to landfill (recycling facilities for all tent components currently don’t exist)
• 4. Thou shalt RESPECT your tent and the area in which you pitch it, making sure you clean up after yourself……even during and after a weekend of partying at the Festival.
• 5. Thou shalt spread the word and encourage others to Love Their Tent
• 6. Thou shalt clearly demonstrate your devotion to your tent and send evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win 2013 Isle of Wight Festival tickets. (Keep it clean people)
• 7. Thou shalt love thy neighbour and not disturb them by playing bongos at 4am.
• 8. Thou shalt follow all additional on-site guidelines in order to keep the respect for others and the environment.
•9. Thou shalt join our community http://www.facebook.com/LoveYourTent and keep up to date on news from Festival land as well as the chance to enter other exclusive competitions.
• 10. Thou shalt be happy campers and share the love.
There is more here www.facebook.com/LoveYourTent
and a lovely SHORT FILM here http://vimeo.com/36763390 – go on – Love Your Tent!
The Isle of Wight Festival takes place 22 – 24 June @ Seaclose Park, Newport, Isle of Wight . Headliners include Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Keep up to date with the Festival at www.isleofwightfestival.com