The Co-op in the UK has announced a number of initiatives to reduce their impact on the planet by:
– reducing greemhouse gas emissions from Co-op operations by 35% by 2017
– make operations ‘carbon neutral’ by 2012
– construct a new environmentally friendly head office setting ‘new standards in sustainable design, construction and operation’ in the UK
– ensure that the ‘vast majority’ of operational waste is diverted from landfill by 2013 – reducing food waste and packaging waste – and carrier bag use.
– reduce water use by 10% by 2012
– Move to ensure soya and palm oil supplies are sustainable – protecting forests
– Ensure fish sold is from sustainable sources
– Support bees with their Plan Bee campaign!