Our friends at Powerful Thinking, the not-for-profit think tank working towards an energy efficient, low carbon an cost effective future for festivals, have had a busy year, raising the profile of sustainable energy, developing resources and launching the new website. In 2013, over 300 events in the UK, many major in size, managed their energy more sustainably delivering real carbon and cost savings.
* More than 200 small-medium size events in 2013 were powered by 100% waste vegetable oil, and/or solar across the arts & cultural sector.
* Extrema Outdoor (ND) cut their fuel bills by 40% in one year.
* Shambala Festival (UK) achieved 94% renewable power.
* Bestival and Reading Festival used waste vegetable oil biofuel at their events.
* Based on 13 medium-large events certified by Industry Green, with a combined audience of 1.3m, over 50% were using WVO Biodiesel with a total of 15% biofuel/85% diesel consumed overall.
Powerful Thinking have also published some really useful FACT SHEETS – and titles already include Top Tips for Reducing Fuel Bills, A Crash Course in Energy Types, Communicating Green Energy, Solar Power for Events, Sustainable Energy for Traders, and Sustainable Power for Screen Arts with more to be added soon. You can access the Fact sheets here http://www.powerful-thinking.org.uk/resources/fact-sheets/.